Monday, June 25, 2007

More on Donating

Some quick updates on blood donation:
-I'm in the process of finding out my blood type. If I'm a universal donor, then the whole apheresis vs. whole blood might be a bigger issue. My medical student friend thinks whole blood is more likely to be in high demand

-there is a blood drive a couple miles away from my apartment (and therefore, walkable) this Saturday. If I choose to donate whole blood, my goal is 4 times/year. Being an inherently flawed individual, I make no promises. But I shall try.


All this thinking about giving blood has me thinking about bone marrow as well. A family friend in Houston campaigns to get more South Asians to join the National Marrow Donor Program Registry. It's relatively painless, consisting of a quick swab inside your cheek. And if you aren't South Asian, don't think there isn't a need to join the registry. According to the website, the following groups are under-represented: "American Indian and Alaska Native, Asian, Black and African American, Hispanic and Latino, Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, and multiple-race patients". Finally, have you considered donating your baby's umbilical cord?

Lest you think I'm developing an eighteenth century nurse complex, stay tuned for my next "thing to do". It promises to be more lighthearted.

No comments: