Wednesday, July 11, 2007

On "Elements of Style"

After a fitful night's sleep (I went to the midnight showing of Harry Potter), I spent the day "working from home". Sometime mid-afternoon, I stopped pretending to respond to reviewer comments re: the discussion section and picked up Wendy Wasserstein's "Elements of Style". I got the book for my birthday and while I feel compelled to finish it, I've now descended into the blahs. A page or two of irony about the idle rich of NYC wearing Prada and drinking champagne is fun; an entire novel is draining. Even if it is meant to be ironic, inhabiting the minds of these superficial characters is zapping the fun out of life. It is also rendering me incapable of deciding whether to accomodate reviewer #1 and remove any discussion of papers x and y.

No comments: